Sunday, March 20, 2011

Decorating Ideas!

I am hoping this spring we will finally be able to furnish our living room that has sat empty (with the exception of some odds and ends) for almost a year now. The room is big, has a lot of windows and natural light, and has a pretty, white fireplace smack dab in the middle of the room. I plan on getting a rug, couch, two chairs, coffee table, end tables, a couple of lamps, and a few decorative pieces to finish off the room. I have long, cream colored window treatments and a neutral green color on the walls. Here is what I am thinking for the room:

I'm typically drawn to the persian, traditional-looking rugs but I am trying expand my style a little bit and go a tad more modern. My mom found this rug and I love all the colors in it! PLUS, I like the dark brown and think it would create great contrast to the cream curtains and cream couch that I plan on getting.
I've always loved the slipcovered look. And I also really love white. Having kids, I obviously couldn't do this in our everyday, family room but think I can pull it off in the "formal" living room.
And of course we need some good lighting for those rainy days when I can curl up on the couch with some coffee and a good book (since I have SO many of those kinds of days)!! :)
And I liked this picture because 1) I like the bench/coffee table 2) I like the quilt hanging on the wall. For my birthday my mom and dad got me a BEAUTIFUL quilt that I plan on displaying in this room. And 3) I love all the colors with the white couch.
My mom and dad are also giving us 2 wicker chairs from their house that they no longer use. They don't look exactly like this but this was the only picture I could find.
Can't wait to get started on this!! Now if only my hubby were on board for all my big plans!

Hope you had a great weekend! Mine was FULL of Madness!!!

Bye friends!!

6 comments:

JeffandTiffanyClark said...

Love all those ideas. I especially love the coffee table!! Very cool! And I never commented on your other post about your entry way ideas. I am not sure which one is my favorite but I love the ones with "storage" areas. I feel like I could really use some good storage for gloves and hats instead of a shelf that forms piles and piles of stuff. And there wasn't one that I didn't like! Can't wait to see all the things you are going to do to your house. Love you friend! See you in the am...you are a lifesaver!

Joel/Mal & Troy/Meg said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this style! if i were decorating a house right now, it would be identical to what you have picked out! i love the cottage look. VERY CUTE AMY! go for it girl. tell greg he has no choice! haha, love ya!
mal

Rachel said...

Can't wait to see it when done. :) You'll make it gorgeous!

Kathy Tonagel said...

WHITE couch? Are you going to barricade the room?

two_evans said...

Love your ideas! You'll have to post some pics of your finished products! I love light-colored couches as well... but I spill more than the kids do, so we have dark colors! ha. :)

dianne and bob said...

White/cream couch? that's what throw blankets are for - throwing over the smudges and spill stains...
I love the idea of displaying your quilt... did it come with a pocket sewn on for hanging on a rod? I think that is the way the Amish display them. Kathy and i will go to Shipshewana soon and research for you..... and Greg will love it.... it doesn't make sense to do one piece at a time....Find a furniture store in your price range and just jump in with both feet.. and enjoy the process!