Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sleepless in Marion

"Answer me when I call to you, my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; have mercy on me and hear my prayer." Psalm 4:1

It's been a rough couple of days in the Tonagel household. My little guy has been sick and suffering from a bad ear infection, sinus infection, and fever. He has had a few sleepless nights (along with me) and we are all a little on the cranky/irritable side. I can't think of something more challenging and testing than having a sick, hurting baby in your arms and not being able to console him. I am now 36 weeks pregnant, my emotions are running high, I am uncomfortable, and did I mention sleep deprived? Anyway, I'll cut to the chase... last night was the third night in a row of nightly screaming. He won't sleep in my arms or in bed with us, just screamed miserably for hours. I finally got him settled down reading books and drinking warmed milk but there were no signs of him going back to sleep. I was going to give it another shot and put him down in his bed. He screamed louder than I have ever heard him scream for about 10 minutes. I sobbed outside his door (kind of like Ali on the Bachelor in the hotel hallway) and prayed to Jesus asking him this:

Father, I know I don't deserve it but will you please relax my baby right now? Take any pain away that he is feeling and relax his body. Close his eyes right now and put him to sleep for the night. I am begging you Lord, please hear my prayer. I don't know what else to do! I know you are almighty and merciful. In Jesus' name hear my prayer.

I went on to make a deal with God that if he answered my prayer that I would make sure he got a major shout-out on my blog. Listen people, like I said, I was desperate. So that's exactly what I'm doing...

No joke--immediately stopped crying, was sound asleep, and didn't hear a peep until late this morning. Coincidence? No way. Just a loving God who saw a mommy in desperate need of some sleep.

Thankfully my mom is in town visiting, probably not what she had in mind for her vacation, but she has been a lifesaver! She has been so gracious and willing to help me in whatever I need. I am so thankful to have such a loving, giving, servant for a mom.

Here is a picture of my best gal Tiff and I who are due just 4 days apart. I can't wait for our babies to meet!


We have a big game tonight versus St. Francis University. I wonder if God would honor my prayer for a victory. Hmm...

Love,
One tired mommy



9 comments:

Christy and Drew said...

What a great reminder of how awesome our God is!!! Thank you for sharing. This brings comfort and peace in more ways than you can imagine!

Beth said...

Lookin' good mamas!

a.tonagel said...

so sorry he is sick. There aren't too many things worse than a sick baby. :(
glad God answered your prayers.
ps. I thought you SWORE you wouldn't do a belly pic with Tiff! :) Glad you did. You both look adorable.

Joel/Mal ...Troy/Meg said...

POOR BABY!! So grateful for this wonderful God we serve! i hope jace feels better soon!! love you all! miss you!
btw-you and tiff are adorable!! i love friendships!

Joel/Mal ...Troy/Meg said...

oh yeah...
love mal

Simon and Rachel Henry said...

you're a trooper. i hope he's feeling better, give me a call if you'd like company!... I'd love to come visit. :)

Megan Tonagel said...

God is so good! I am so glad he blessed you with a night of sleep, and blessed Jace with some alleviation. And I LOVE the picture of you and Tiff. I have been waiting since the two of you got pregnant for that! I miss you prego girls... You two could not be cuter. I hope you are enjoying time with Cindy!

Casie said...

What a sweet story! I love it. Praying for you!

ps...You and Tiff are too cute :)

dianne and bob said...

i agree that there is nothing more frustrating for a mom than not being able to console a sick child... but we can PRAY! So glad you did.

And I agree.... you and Tiff are adorable! Can't wait to see the babies.... there will be plenty of prayers for the births to coordinate with those pesky bball games!